Do you want to make a difference in someone’s life?
It takes a truly special person to be a great Direct Support Professional: you must be passionate about helping others, dedicated to protecting a person’s rights, and—most of all—willing to offer true, genuine friendship, through good times, bad times, laughter, and shared experiences. Far too many developmentally disabled individuals are held back by the lack of a solid support system, and as a DSP, you can change that.
We are looking for DSP’s to join our growing team at The Center for Family Support. CFS has been providing services to individuals with intellectual disabilities in New Jersey for over twenty years. We currently have nineteen Group Homes, one Support Apartment, and three- Day Programs throughout the state. The ideal job candidate will be highly dependable and have a passion for helping those with physical and/or intellectual disabilities live a more fulfilled and rewarding life.
As a Direct Support Professional, no two days are totally alike. But each day is sure to include the following:
- Help the people we support to have meaningful lives, listen to their dreams and help them learn skills to live the lives they choose.
- Encourage each individual to tell us what is important to them and important for them. Involve them in activities that match their interests, goals and dreams for the future.
- Assist individuals we support learn how to develop and maintain positive relationships with people in their community.
- Respect the rights of the people we support and teach them to advocate for themselves.
- Use our person-centered philosophy throughout the day. Use each moment as a teachable moment.
- Get to know the individual by listening and observing what is important to him or her.
- Show a positive attitude toward work and others.
- Protect the health of the people you support. This may include giving medication, following doctor’s orders, going on medical appointments and/or seeking emergency medical care when necessary.
- Protect the safety of the people you support by providing the level of supervision described in the person’s service plan and by reporting to your supervisor any potentially dangerous situation
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid driver’s license – No provisional licenses
- Prior experience in this field is preferred, but If you have some background in healthcare or human services, that is a plus.
Available positions in Matawan, Port Monmouth, Aberdeen, Cliffwood, Old Bridge, and Morganville, New Jersey.
Part-time and Per Diem
The Center for Family Support (CFS) mission is to provide support and assistance to individuals with developmental and related disabilities. We are the first agency in New York to achieve the Council on Quality and Leadership Certification (CQL). By achieving this certification, it shows our commitment and dedication to creating services that enhance and improve the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.